The Optic is the annual magazine publication of the University of Ilorin chapter of the Union of Campus Journalists (UCJ-UNILORIN).
UCJ-UNILORIN is the leading and mother campus media outfit committed to delivering timely, accurate, fact-based, credible, balanced and objective reporting of events, happenings and issues in the university community and beyond.
The UCJ magazine, The Optic, is our most prestigious publication of the year. With our magazine, we produce excellent, quality, time-testing, focal and socio-culturally, economically and politically relevant contents to our wide audience.
For the publication of next issue of The Optic, we are pleased to start receiving submissions on the theme, “2020: Through the Lens of a Pandemic”. We want to hear from any interested students of the University of Ilorin and beyond.
We accept submission of works of essays, journalistic stories, satires, commentaries, fiction, poetry, nonfiction, visual arts and compelling photography. We are seeking works that explore any of the topics below:
- #EndSARS Protests
- Lekki massacre
- Black Lives Matter (BLM)
- Rape and gender-based violence issues
- ASUU strike
- BBN lockdown
- Palliative saga
Important information to note:
- Submit your work by filling out all fields in the form below.
- Only one submission can be made per person.
- Your submission must not have been published elsewhere.
- Essays should be a minimum of 500 words and a maximum of 1,000 words. Poems should be a maximum of 30 lines to include the title.
- Submissions should be attached in MS Word format.
- Include a short bio in the required field.
- Once you submit the form, we will receive your work and acknowledge the receipt of your submission. We will also let you know when it has been accepted or not.
- You retain the copyright to your work and credit will be given as appropriate.
We are excited to receive and read your work as we issue another exciting compelling edition of UCJ magazine.
Submit your work for publication here.
The deadline for submissions is May 15, 2021.